Basic Diamond Knowledge
1. What country is the largest consumer of jewellery?
2. What is the rarest color of diamond?
3. What is the relationship between diamond and coal?
--> They both are made of carbon
4. Diamonds are primarily made up of what element?
5. What does the term "melee" mean?
--> Diamonds smaller than 1/5 Carat are referred to as "melee" diamonds and are quite often used to accent a center or feature diamond
6. What is the Koh-i-noor?
--> The Koh-i-noor (Persian for “mountain of light”) is one of the most famous indian diamonds with a history possibly dating as far back as the 14th century. The 191-carat stone was acquired by the British in 1849 and became part of the crown jewels of Queen Victoria, who thought it lacked fire and brilliance. It was recut in 1852 to a 109-carat oval brilliant and was later incorporated into the state crown fashioned for Queen Elizabeth at her coronation in 1937. The crown resides in the Tower of London.
7. How many carats are in one gram?
--> 1 gram = 5 carats
8. Are diamonds mined in India?
9. How many facets are on a standard round brilliant-cut diamond?
--> 42, 53, or 58. (58)
10. What country is world's largest producer of diamond jewellery?